Wednesday 24 December 2014

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!




Until last year, Christmas didn't mean much to me even as a Christian. For me it was a season to just chill and do nothing. Even when people invite me to countless lunches/ barbecues , I'd go just not to add to my growing list of 'offendees'. Christmas carols were a waste of time and a moment to roll my eyes at every thing everyone did. 

As I woke up this morning at 4 am to pray, I felt that old feeling of 'what's the fuss about Christmas' coming up again like bile, I tried to trace it back to how it happened and deal with it emotionally once and for all and I realised it was from childhood. I didn't look forward to Christmas because I associated it with work. "Labour". 
After Church Guests will be around and there would be cooking to take to neighbors etc. it wasn't fun then because I was in boarding school and expected to be at amusement parks and parties but I appreciate that practise now. It was reaching out to your neighbors who weren't celebrating and also a few less privileged people who lived around us. 

Then as a younger adult it was hampers from 1week of December so by Christmas all you want to do is sleep in. No early morning basket runs or deadlines to meet. So there was barely celebration for me or understanding the reason for up the season.

I wish I had this feeling earlier, I'd have tried to relive those moments this year. Cook and give to people who can't afford to. Let them feel the LOVE that was born on this day many years ago. Now I know it isn't just a time to chill, i will gladly do that 'labour' for someone to feel loved this season. In the midst of the bubbly atmosphere remember why Christ was born and He's always with us.

Make it count people! 

Merry Christmas!!!

Isaiah 7:14

2 comments: